Keepin' It Real with the Agile Principles Assessment
The best teams move beyond merely “Doing Scrum” to “Being Agile”. They embody the Agile principles rather than just following the mechanics of Scrum/Kanban/<insert your framework here>.
Here is a straightforward way to emphasize principles in your team’s Agile journey.
1. Review the 12 Agile Principles together as a team.
2. Team members individually rate their team’s adherence to each of the 12 principles on a scale of 1 to 5, where 5 means ‘we rock!’
3. Calculate the average rating for each of the twelve
4. Select one of the lower scoring principles and make a plan for what the team will do to improve.
5. Also identify organizational roadblocks keeping us from achieving the principle; these become action items for your Scrum Master, Coach, and/or Manager to tackle
6. Repeat this process frequently (monthly or bimonthly)
I hope this will help your team to ‘keep it real.’
Powerful question of the week:
“Which principles could help us make this decision?”